I absolutely love traditional soda bread and I’m a big fan of easy, minimal mess recipes. I’ve made this several times and it’s a winner every time! It’s great with scrambled egg or marmalade!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C /400°F.
- Mix the flour, bread soda and salt together in a bowl.
- Combine the egg with the buttermilk and honey then mix into the flour. Add a little more buttermilk if the mixture is dry – it should be a soft dough.
- Then pour the lot into a lightly oiled loaf tin.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds or porridge oats over the top of the loaf if using.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
A good way to know when it is cooked is by tapping the base of the loaf – it will sound hollow if it’s fully cooked. Remove from the tin, wrap in a clean tea towel
(This will keep the crust soft.) and place on a wire rack while cooling.